Thursday 28 June 2007

Balls...

...to all those people that think no smoking absolutely everywhere is a good idea! I have to say that I agree with non-smoking in restaurants, as most people (even smokers!) are not keen to sit down to a nice meal and have wisps of cigarette smoke drifting past as they tuck into their fillet steak....
However, I have to disagree entirely when it comes to Public Houses and the like. I'm sorry, but the government saying that it is for the good of people's health is completely nonsensical. I could see the point if they were using a gym as the example...but (or did I miss something!?) surely to God people don't go and pour a few gallons of ale/wine/cherry brandy down their necks for the sake of their health????
I also heard (i'm not 100% on this but it came from a reliable source) that the House of Commons is exempt from this ban....ahem??
I am in no way saying that smoking is a good idea, neither am I suggesting that people should take it up as a pastime, but for f**ks sake...leave people be and let them get on with it. At least if you are a non-smoker then you can go to a restaurant etc...There should be somewhere for smokers to go too! Surely everyone should be able to choose?? Hmmm...
Come on now Mr Brown...if you are going to waste a few years in power making false promises that you will (inevitably) break...the very least you could do is lift this insane ban...
I also read (from a reputable source) that taxes on tobacco contributed to the government are well over and above the amount spent by the NHS on smoking related illnesses...so there!!

No comments: